Marvin J. Huberman
Marvin J. Huberman is a senior litigation lawyer practising in Toronto. He is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a specialist in civil litigation, and is a mediator, arbitrator, former administrative law judge, and adjunct law professor at Osgoode Hall Law School.
For over 30 years, Mr. Huberman has served as independent and general counsel for a variety of individuals, businesses, financial institutions, governments and other organizations. Marvin has expertise in corporate-commercial litigation and administrative and public law, including cases involving contracts, labour, drug and alcohol testing, corporate governance and shareholder remedies, securities, tax, insurance, cross-border litigation, directors and officers fiduciary duties, torts, transportation law, professional liability and ethics, and constitutional/human rights before all levels of trial and appellate courts and numerous administrative tribunals.
Marvin holds a Master of Laws Degree in Alternative Dispute Resolution from Osgoode Hall Law School where he taught legal ethics and trial advocacy, and served as a negotiation and mediation coach. He has also served as a civil litigation and advocacy Instructor at the Law Society of Upper Canada, Bar Admission Course.
He is a past Chair of the National and Ontario Civil Litigation Sections of the Canadian Bar Association, and a recipient of a Dedicated Professional Service Award from that organization. Mr. Huberman was appointed by the Chief Justice as a member of the Civil Rules Committee (Comité des règles en matière civile), pursuant to the Courts of Justice Act (Ont.).
Mr. Huberman has authored/co-authored six books and numerous published articles, including Carswell's texts entitled "Civil Actions", "Appellate Advocacy", and "Pre-Trial Conferences", and "Advocacy, War, and the Art of Strategy", published by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Marvin is a tenacious, effective litigator, mediator, and arbitrator with demonstrated integrity, professional judgment, and a trail of success.
Mr. Huberman is a founding member of the Chief Justice of Ontario's Advisory Committee on Professionalism (2001), and was appointed to the Competition Law and Policy Task Force of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. He served as Chair of the ADR Institute of Ontario Inc.'s Intellectual Property and Technology Section, and was a director of that organization.
He served as the Chair of the Governance Committee of the British Canadian Chamber of Trade and Commerce.
Marvin has been recognized by the ADR Institute of Canada by being accredited with the designation Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb) indicating his degree of skill and experience as a professional in the field.
Marvin wrote several Arbitration Decisions that were Honourably Mentioned and Rated in the Top 10 Insurance/Accident Benefits cases in 2014 and 2015.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigation
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties:
- Civil Litigation
- Ontario, 1988
British Columbia, 1983
- York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, North York, Ontario, Canada
LL.M. - 1997
Major: Alternative Dispute Resolution
- University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
LL.B. - 1982
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School of York University
- Instructor at Intensive Trial Advocacy Course, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Instructor at Law Society of Upper Canada, Civil Litigation and Advocacy, Bar Admission Course
- Speaker at numerous conferences on current and evolving legal issues
Past Employment Positions:
- Teplitsky, Colson, Barristers, Senior Litigation Counsel, 2005 - 2007
- Ogilvy Renault, LLP, Senior Counsel, Litigation Group, 2002 - 2005
- Independent Senior Litigation Counsel, Major associations with Lafleur Brown LLP, and Bakerlaw, 1999 - 2001
- Morris Rose Ledgett, Partner, 1988 - 1999
Huberman, Cristall & Hutchinson (Vancouver), Associate, Litigation Group, 1983 - 1988
- Federal Department of Justice, Province of British Columbia, Articling Student, 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- ADR Institute of Ontario, Inc., Board of Directors and Chair of the IP/Technology Section
- ADR Chambers, Inc., Mediation/Arbitration panel member
- B'nai Brith Canada: National legal counsel and member of National Administrative Board, and Financial Management Cabinet
- Chief Justice of Ontario′s Advisory Committee on Professionalism, Founding Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Former Chair, National and Ontario Civil Litigation Sections
- Civil Rules Committee, Member
- Competition Law and Policy Task Force of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Appointed Member of the Ontario Hepatitis C Assistance Plan Review (Appeal) Committee
- Appointed Member of the Private Court of Ontario
- Appointed Member of ADR Chambers Inc. (Arbitrator and Mediator Panels)
Honours and Awards:
- Accredited by the ADR Institute of Canada with the designation Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb)
- Recipient of a Dedicated Professional Service Award from the Canadian Bar Association, Ont.
- Awarded First Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
Commercial Arbitration Law Firm Of The Year